Friday, August 22, 2014

"Happy Mothers Day" Distracted by Teachers Appreciation Week

"Happy Mothers Day" Distracted by Teachers Appreciation Week

Yes, I said it. Teachers appreciation week! Before I get to why I am upset about it, I will ask any who knows me to admit to themselves that I have been wanting to be an American History high school teacher and/or college professor ever since I have entertained the idea of retiring from the military. Even in my current job, teaching those under me is the single biggest enjoyment with my work that I have. I love to help develop young minds, and in the process, exercise my own.

So here is the BIG problem with this week. Said simply, it glorifies the State institutions above the family and rewards those who CHOSE their own professions for reason all their own. 

For a service member, they can be deployed and gone anywhere from 1 month to 1 year. In the last 3 years I have gone on (2) 6 month deployments and a 1 year deployment in Okinawa. During this time my wife took care of the home. She must maintain the house, maintain the cars, drive the kids to school and doctors appointments. She was also a part time student earning 4 credits this semester twice a week in class. Also, my wife was a USMC reservist. During her drill weekends and ANY time she has a college class when the kids are off school, my wife drives over 60 miles to pick up her mother to watch our children. She fired on the rifle range, picked up the kids late driving a 100 mile round trip home and getting everyone to bed in the late evening. Waking up at 6 A.M. the next morning, she took the kids to school, and spent the day working on her homework before driving 40 round tri- miles to pick them up, then cook dinner, help the kids with homework, put them to bed, do more homework, and eventually fall asleep. WHAT A GREAT WIFE!!

However, this week is not "Mother Appreciation Week!" She only gets one day to call her own. Instead it is Teacher Appreciation Week, where my wife can add to her duties: buying a fresh flower, helping my daughter make a card for the teacher, and whatever else is "suggested" to do for the teacher on the (3) other remaining days of appreciation. (They do special projects or gestures all 5 days of the week)! Do you think my wife is so free of distractions and easy on time that she needs to spend (5) days thinking about how to appreciate the voluntary teachers of my kids who are PAID to do their job (9) months out of the year?Mommy gets (1) day, the teacher gets (5)?

This is so typical today of the fascist culture that teaches us that teachers are more responsible to teach our children than parents. That a parents, more specifically, a Mother's job is to go to work and pass off their child to daycare. How many teachers are so full of themselves in this society that they forget their job every time they sacrifice a kids education so that they can strike for more pay? We see this all the time.

It is sickening the "honor and glory" our society is placing on the "public servant." NEWS FLASH: A teacher GETS PAID to do what they do. A parent gladly PAYS for the privilege of being one. A teacher no more deserves reverence than a plumber. They are not Nuns who dedicate their whole lives to the service of God without the comfort of pay and normal living. They are not doctors or missionaries who have left society and comfort to go to Africa to do charity work for the better part of their lives. They are American teachers who receive a paycheck, pension, and in many cases can graduate your student even if they have never learned to read so long as the teacher has tenure!! I love my wife. And for that reason I hate this week. May god Bless Mothers everywhere who dedicate their lives to taking care of their children.

God Bless
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment