Friday, August 22, 2014

Pet Peeves #2...Political and Religious Discussions In the Workplace "Those Little Things That Annoy Me and Make Our Founding Fathers Role Over in Their Graves!"



As anyone can tell by this blog, I love politics and religion. It is as much a hobby for me as cars and women are for other men. One of the most annoying and troublesome comment I receive is that politics and religion should not be discussed in the workplace.

Being in the military, you find either those people eager to engage in the discussion, or those quick to lay that line down on you. Sometimes, it comes from a senior officer.

What am I to do???

Well, add it to the list of pet peeves of course! First of all, unless there is a reason to silence my discussion for professional reasons due it distracting me from actual work, I will comply no problem. If the order, or complaint, comes to me during a break time or private conversation overheard by those who object, then too bad. There is no lawful regulation or order that allows one person, senior in rank or not, to silence me on political or religious terms. As a matter of fact, much more the opposite. It is discriminating and intolerable that people feel that Americans are not allowed to engage in conversations concerning religion or politics during leisure time at work.

It is one of the most un-American, communist minded bunch of crap I have ever been told. America was founded and bled for in order to preserve that very right. The right to free expression and having my political opinion is just as fundamentally American. If my fellow Marine, or co-worker in the civilian sector, has the right to talk about his latest weekend drinking escapades, then I have every right (and even more so) to discuss politics and religion.

If I am discussing these things with junior personnel and actually recommending courses of actions, trying to get co-workers "saved," or bullying my voting opinion then I am out of place. This is not the type of thing I do, nor is it what I encourage. But fundamentally, my right to discuss and share opinions about what I do WILL NOT be denied. Even were the President to try to order me silent.

Joe Shmoe has his cars, I have my God and country. Conversation among peers should not be, and are not, limited to mindless shallow ponderings of debase and primal instincts or meaningless hobbies. Free speach for all, always!

No comments:

Post a Comment